Current:Home > InvestRepublican moves ahead with effort to expel George Santos from House -Capitatum
Republican moves ahead with effort to expel George Santos from House
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 05:12:50
Washington — A New York Republican moved forward with an effort to expel Rep. George Santos from Congress on Thursday, a day before the indicted congressman is expected to plead not guilty to additional federal charges.
Rep. Anthony D'Esposito introduced the resolution to expel Santos as privileged, meaning the House must consider the measure within two legislative days.
Under the Constitution, expulsion requires a two-thirds vote in favor. Only five members have been expelled from the House since 1861.
D'Esposito and several other New York Republicans announced their intent to expel Santos earlier this month after he was hit with several additional federal charges that accuse him of stealing his campaign donors' identities and credit card information to make unauthorized charges to his financial benefit. The superseding indictment also alleges he falsified campaign finance reports to hit fundraising benchmarks and bolster his campaign.
Santos is set to appear in court on Friday for his arraignment in the superseding indictment.
The new charges renewed the efforts to expel Santos after House Republicans blocked a Democratic attempt in May. At the time, then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy argued that the legal process should be allowed to play out and the matter was referred to the House Ethics Committee to conduct an investigation.
Earlier this year, Santos pleaded not guilty to charges that included an alleged scheme to defraud prospective supporters of his 2022 campaign.
He has vehemently denied any wrongdoing as the charges have piled up and has been defiant amid calls for him to resign.
After the expulsion resolution was introduced, Santos posted on social media that he still has no plans to step down.
"I'm entitled to due process and not a predetermined outcome as some are seeking," he said.
- In:
- George Santos
- United States House of Representatives
- New York
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (28)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Ashley Park Reveals What It’s Like Working With Selena Gomez on Only Murders in the Building
- Famous Chocolate Wafers are no more, but the icebox cake lives on
- Biden announces deal to sell nuclear-powered submarines to Australia
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- The Traitors Reunion Teaser Shows the Aftermath of Season 1’s Shocking Finale
- 'Barbie' is pretty in pink — but will she also be profitable?
- Remembering Broadway legend and 'Fiddler on the Roof' lyricist Sheldon Harnick
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Remains of Roman aristocrat unearthed in ancient lead coffin in England: Truly extraordinary
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Las Vegas police investigating Tupac Shakur's 1996 murder have searched a Nevada home
- King Charles knights Brian May, of rock group Queen, at Buckingham Palace
- Vanderpump Rules' James Kennedy Breaks Down in Tears Over Raquel Leviss Breakup
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- RuPaul's Drag Race Queens Tell What 200th Episode Means for the LGBTQ Community
- TikToker Emira D'Spain Documents Her Gender Confirmation Surgery
- King Charles III gives brother Edward a birthday present: His late father's Duke of Edinburgh title
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
'It's not over yet': Artists work to keep Iran's protests in view
Lily James Reveals Her Dating Turnoffs After Checking Out the Apps
Girl who went missing from a mall in 2018 found in Mexico
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
HBO and Lily-Rose Depp Defend Director Sam Levinson Over The Idol Production Claims
Larsa Pippen Has the Best Response When Asked About 16-Year Age Difference With Boyfriend Marcus Jordan
Even heroes feel helpless sometimes — and 'Superman & Lois' is stronger for it